Prémilhat

Site historique

To prepare for upcoming round-ups, in August 1942 the government opened the Regional Israelite Assembly Center of the Textile Camp on the premises of a disaffected synthetic textiles factory to gather the foreign Jews from the four départements around Clermont-Ferrand.

The camp, which had already been used as a refugee camp, was located on the outskirts of the town and guarded by French gendarmes. The camp commander was a commissaire from National Intelligence named Martrou.

The round-up of foreign Jews on August 26, 1942, overseen by the national police in Vichy, was organized in each département by the regional and départemental... Read more

Information

Coordinates

Address : 138 avenue des Martyrs , 03410 Prémilhat
GPS Coordinates : 46.337935 , 2.572576
See on map
Themes and resources
Themes
  • Deportation
  • Persecution
  • Repression
  • Collaboration
  • Internement
  • Allier
  • Historic site
  • Genocide
  • Population movements
Complete description of site

To prepare for upcoming round-ups, in August 1942 the government opened the Regional Israelite Assembly Center of the Textile Camp on the premises of a disaffected synthetic textiles factory to gather the foreign Jews from the four départements around Clermont-Ferrand.

The camp, which had already been used as a refugee camp, was located on the outskirts of the town and guarded by French gendarmes. The camp commander was a commissaire from National Intelligence named Martrou.

The round-up of foreign Jews on August 26, 1942, overseen by the national police in Vichy, was organized in each département by the regional and départemental prefectures. One hundred and seventy people from the four départements around Clermont-Ferrand were arrested in their homes and transferred to the Textile Camp: 95 men, 60 women and 15 children.

After the "screening" procedure, 143 Jews, the youngest two years old, were sent from Drancy to Auschwitz on September 14, 1942 on convoy 32.

Source: AJPN

Nearby Sites