Lyon

Monument commémoratif

Monument to the dead "on the other side of the tracks"

On August 26, 1944, traffic along the banks of the Rhône and the Saône was  particularly dense: the Germans were falling back toward the north. To hamper the retreat, FFI (French Interior Forces) fought in Oullins and the neighboring areas. Around 5pm, an armored car drove along the bank of the Rhône near the Café Beau Rivage. The loud bang, caused by a bursting tire, panicked the Germans and a shoot-out followed. The Germans finally drew back, but returned later in the evening and attacked the building. The inhabitants... Read more

Information

Coordinates

Address : Cours Charlemagne , 69002 Lyon
GPS Coordinates : 45.745554 , 4.823362
See on map
Themes and resources
Themes
  • Monument
  • Repression
  • Rhone
Complete description of site

Monument to the dead "on the other side of the tracks"

On August 26, 1944, traffic along the banks of the Rhône and the Saône was  particularly dense: the Germans were falling back toward the north. To hamper the retreat, FFI (French Interior Forces) fought in Oullins and the neighboring areas. Around 5pm, an armored car drove along the bank of the Rhône near the Café Beau Rivage. The loud bang, caused by a bursting tire, panicked the Germans and a shoot-out followed. The Germans finally drew back, but returned later in the evening and attacked the building. The inhabitants hid in the cellars. The next day, five bodies were found, but their effects were gone.

Source : Commissariat de la République, Mémorial de l'oppression, fascicule N°1, 1945

Nearby Sites