Lyon

Plaques commémoratives

Starting in 1894, the building at 14 avenue Berthelot was the Army Medical School. The Germans requisitioned it on November 27, 1942, and in the spring of 1943, it became Gestapo headquarters, which it remained until the accidental bombing on May 26, 1944, that destroyed a part of the building. (The American bombers had targeted the nearby rail lines.) Both women and men were brutally tortured and executed here. In 1992, a memory site took over the locale: the CHRD Center for the History of Resistance and Deportation. Eight commemorative plaques are affixed to the facades. 

This one renders homage to the numberless resistants and hostages... Read more

See photos
Information

Coordinates

Address : 14 avenue Berthelot , 69007 Lyon
GPS Coordinates : 45.746984 , 4.835995
See on map
Themes and resources
Themes
  • Commemorative plaque
  • Maquis
  • Fighting
  • Free groups
  • Civil resistance
  • Deportation
  • Persecution
  • Repression
  • Collaboration
  • Internement
  • Bombings
  • Rhone
  • Genocide
  • Population movements
  • Armed Resistance
Complete description of site

Starting in 1894, the building at 14 avenue Berthelot was the Army Medical School. The Germans requisitioned it on November 27, 1942, and in the spring of 1943, it became Gestapo headquarters, which it remained until the accidental bombing on May 26, 1944, that destroyed a part of the building. (The American bombers had targeted the nearby rail lines.) Both women and men were brutally tortured and executed here. In 1992, a memory site took over the locale: the CHRD Center for the History of Resistance and Deportation. Eight commemorative plaques are affixed to the facades. 

This one renders homage to the numberless resistants and hostages that passed through this place.

Source: Carte des lieux de mémoire de la ville de Lyon

Nearby Sites